The Obsidian Spire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Luunaathh
Luunaathh
Spire Guardian
Spire Guardian
https://www.theobsidianspire.org

How do neurobehavioral disorders and mental illness affect the way you see yourself? Empty How do neurobehavioral disorders and mental illness affect the way you see yourself?

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:17 pm
•This seems to be a common thing with many who are otherkin, though that is not necessarily a bad thing. So I do ask, how do neurological afflictions or disorders affect the way you see yourself, and how you go about introspection and retrieving memories? Is it exceptionally difficult to know yourself, or is it more of an inconvenience that some things are out of your reach for a while? What afflictions do you have?
<•>
•As many know I have schizoaffective disorder, dyslexia, cptsd, physical disabilities, and ocd, and needless to say it can become very difficult to know who I am when I’m swamped with delusions, hallucinations, voices, anxiety, paranoia, and other symptoms. It is nothing I cannot handle really, however it certainly gets frustrating at times. I have to be careful with how I question some things about my true draconic self, otherwise I could end up believing in a delusion for some time before I eventually realize that something isn’t quite right. Because of voices that impersonate my guardians, I have to be focused when I actually speak to my guardians, so those voices don’t end up becoming overwhelming. It really sucks and I’m trying to work on it. Though again, it’s nothing I can’t handle. Even though I have these mental afflictions, I’m still just as capable of knowing who I am, as others are. I just take a little more time than others, and I have more challenges to face than others. :>

DrDisRespect likes this post

DrDisRespect
DrDisRespect
https://drdisrespect.carrd.co

How do neurobehavioral disorders and mental illness affect the way you see yourself? Empty Re: How do neurobehavioral disorders and mental illness affect the way you see yourself?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:58 am
I also have many diagnosed disorders. I can definitely say I share that frustration often. Outside of my factotype I pretty much cannot consciously recognize myself. (i.e., looking at myself in the mirror feels unreal, I couldn't tell you about myself if it wasn't superficial.) I frequently experience derealization/depersonalization dissociation almost too easily and it makes maintaining a stable sense of self both physically and psychologically even more difficult. For me, my singular factotype is the exact opposite and allows me to have a brief moment or two of surefootedness in myself as an individual. I believe that is what truly caused me to be factkin in 2020-2021.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum