The Obsidian Spire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Luunaathh
Luunaathh
Spire Guardian
Spire Guardian
https://www.theobsidianspire.org

Voluntary vs Involuntary Nonhumanity Empty Voluntary vs Involuntary Nonhumanity

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:07 pm
•Recently there was some conversation about involuntary kintypes becoming a real kintype over time in the otherkin community on tumblr. Ego alteration I believe was the term used to describe a connection with a voluntary identity becoming a part of you (essentially creating a kintype through connection), and therefore creating an entire nonhuman identity. My question is, what do you think about this topic? Is it possible or impossible?....
<•>
•I’ve made my position clear on tumblr, however I do not believe it is possible to create an entire nonhuman identity just because you are starting to feel a little bit of connection to the voluntary identity after a while. You can’t just create a past life/true life, otherkin memories, a nonhuman soul, or a psychological otherkin identity on the whim. A human can’t just suddenly decide someday, “hey, I’m nonhuman now!”. Being otherkin is not a choice, and you can’t make it a choice, simply because otherkind identity revolves being born nonhuman, or having extremely deep connections that are inherently nonhuman, not deciding to be nonhuman. An example, I am an indigenous woman, and that’s not something I can change. I can’t choose my biological earth family, I can’t change my genetics, and I can’t really call myself something that I’m not. Being indigenous is part of who I am, and that’s nothing that can change. Same thing with being otherkind. Some theories just don’t make sense, and don’t have to be incorporated into a community because someone is having these feelings. There are other explanations that already exist.
<•>
•If you genuinely start to feel connected to a unique nonhuman identity that you came up with over time, that’s really just fitting into the category of being otherhearted. Life is a journey of constant, changing paths, and with new and unique experiences, sometimes different connections will be formed over time, and allow you to change the way you view something. You can definitely start to feel connected with an animal or species, though that doesn’t mean you can suddenly create a parallel life over time as a human. Claiming you can create a kintype seems to be in the realm of pseudo-science or some new age spiritual view that doesn’t really fit in the otherkin community. Questioning is your best friend in these situations

Last edited by lunastredraconis on Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Drakmanka
Drakmanka

Voluntary vs Involuntary Nonhumanity Empty Re: Voluntary vs Involuntary Nonhumanity

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:25 am
I personally think that this sort of thing is just misunderstanding known phenomenon. Like, I started writing stories about my home world before I awakened. Someone could argue that my kintype is something I invented, but I know better. My stories are from this world that I knew in my dragon life, rather than my dragon life coming from the stories. It's an important distinction that could easily be misconstrued by someone who wanted to support this "ego alteration" theory.
Then of course there's being Otherhearted, which can be a semi-voluntary thing but still not 100%
I think anyone supporting this is either misguided, best case scenario, or malicious, deliberately trying to further cloud the waters of an already misunderstood and disrespected community.

Luunaathh and Azaphaer like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum